Friday, May 7, 2010

So little time, so much to do…

My goodness, it’s been a while. Causes: internship, class work, work on TWC portfolio, applying for visa and grant for the summer in Ghana, being turned into a pincushion at the travel medical center (also in preparation for the summer), enjoying the last couple of weeks here in DC, and general insanity.

In the name of that insanity (and some annoying defects with my keyboard lately), we will be relatively short. As is all too often found, there is too much to do and too many people to see in too little a span of time. My past few weeks have been divided between one last visit to campus, wrapping up a policy proposal paper for my TWC course, and packing as many things into the days as humanly possible.

Thing one (we’ll go Dr. Seuss style): visiting campus. Prolonged hours back in the library (where, bonus, an interview that same weekend has led to an upgraded position as one of the student supervisors next year) to visit other relatively bookish friends and some not so bookish as we relocated to shoot some pool… chatting, catching up, and generally ignoring the fact that many would be gone next year, both due to graduation and study abroad. And so began the blocking out of impending goodbyes…

The view from our dorm on campus; as you may recall, quite the change from the view from the apartment in Arlington.
 
Thing two: after a pathetically long return trip to DC (nearly 8 hours total, if I recall correctly, due to various mishaps- it takes about 2-2.5 hours on average), I made my way to Medha’s apartment to be fed and recuperate before returning to Arlington. Found ourselves back there on Wednesday evening as we held a belated Tamil New Year celebration, comprised of a table full of (vegetarian) excellent Indian dishes and a dinner party of 4.

Thing three: our own form of “return to India,” this time TWC-sponsored, as I joined my roommates in checking out “Bollywood Night,” conveniently located in our building and offering free food and henna; can’t beat that. Civic engagement presentations the following day, at least for Medha and I, meant a continuation of this Indo-centric mind set as we told our fellow interns about our work with AID (those of you who will be in the DC area: marathon, anyone?)…. which was continued not long ago as we (slightly ruefully) woke up at about 5am on Sunday morning to leave the apt. by 5:30 and help at a race in preparation for the aforementioned marathon… talk about bright and early. Painful, but worth it: my civic engagement project turned into much more than I expected, and I’ll continue to help through AID and stay in touch with the amazing people that make up its membership here in DC.

Thing four: the cultural learning is sporadic throughout all of this, as it has been throughout this spring. If you’re not a fan of culture shock as I am, you can avoid it to a certain extent (ie not attending the fantastic bhangra parties), but the variety of cultures thriving here in DC is wonderfully unavoidable. Our fellow interns are an excellent means of practicing my now-rusty Spanish abilities, and last Friday night featured the long-awaited trip out for Ethiopian food. Hit up the U Street (esp. 9th Street end) area for a ridiculous amount of choices between Ethiopian restaurants- apparently they’re hoping to be dubbed “Little Ethiopia,” and it was rather obvious why. Prime eating, no doubt.

Have no fear: if you’d rather sit in an average chair, they had many of those also available at Etete, where Tony, Medha, and I snagged the one such table set up on Friday night. Leave your inhibitions at the door; Ethiopian food is quite literally a hands-on experience and everyone shares from the same platter. Adds to the deliciousness.

And with that, time to head out for me – plans up the wazoo as we interns attempt to squeeze in as much quality time as humanly possible. I, for one, have left packing for the very last moment, and I have a feeling I won’t regret it. After all, I’ll have just 4.5 days between leaving DC and flying to Ghana for two months of the summer; if I haven’t learned to pack quickly and efficiently by this point, I’m doomed. To all fellow college students currently wrapping up their own semesters, I wish you the best…. And don’t begrudge me my lack of finals, please; making up for it with a monstrous independent study project.

In the mean time, stay classy.

No comments:

Post a Comment